Friday, May 10, 2013

real gratitude

I live in an apartment.

I went for a walk today around town. I looked at all of the beautiful houses and thought, "I hope these people appreciate what they have! If I had a house and property like this, I would be so grateful!"

Then a still small voice said, "Are you grateful now?"

Tears welling up in my eyes, I thought, I used to be.

Maybe it's watching tv, looking at what everyone else has that has tainted my heart.

The Lord is so good. So patient. So loving.

He gently reminded me of all of the good things I DO have.

And then I thought.......I want to be grateful in every circumstance. Not WHEN I have a house, or lose weight, or anything. Right now I am grateful......in this moment.......in my heart.

A peace washed over me, like only God can do.

What is real gratitude? Grateful for only the things that make you happy or things that you enjoy?
Or everything? Every unwanted circumstance, every person that rubs you the wrong way. We are so quick to run from things that make us uncomfortable or unpleasant.

But, if we are willing to stop looking around and open our hearts to God, we can find true gratitude in all aspects of life. And instead of wishing for something else, we can be ready for what He needs to teach us.




No comments:

Post a Comment