Skip to main content

Quirky Dutch Summer challenge # 2

The second challenge from Marit, http://www.maritspaperworld.com/blog/, is to create mail art. I thought of my sister in law, Karen. We don't get to see eachother much because we live in different states, about a 12 hour drive. I knew she would appreciate some bright and colorful cheery mail art. We joke that all we ever get in the mail is bills.

I grew up with 3 older brothers and was quite content with my sibling situation in my childhood.
Then, my oldest brother got married and through the years his wife and I developed a close friendship.
But what's even more special, is that I realized she is the big sister I never had.

Karen,
through the years
you've been more than a friend
you've been my big sister.

thank you for not judging me and always staying by my side.


thank you for always looking out for me and not being a selfish friend. I like the balance we have and
I know I can count on you.


and I thank God we share the same sense of humor! Thank you for making me laugh, especially on days when nothing seems funny. I love you!

Comments

  1. Now that's a very special piece for a very special 'big sis' (I have only one brother, and found a 'big sister' in a friend of mine... those are extra special isn't it?) Thanks so much for playing along with Quirky Dutch Summer! (Oh, and I added your bloglink to my faves now so I can't forget you ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Marit! I'm enjoying your challenges and you have a fantastic blog:)

      Delete
  2. Very nice envelop! Looking great with all the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I stopped by
    What a fantastic and fun piece of mail art
    surely bringing oohs and aahs all along it's journey!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Published in Somerset Studio's ART Journaling magazine gallery section Spring 2014!

Great news! Some of my journal pages were selected to be published in one of my favorite magazines..........ART Journaling!!

Stampington & Company is such a wonderful resource for artists who create in many different mediums. You can find this magazine and more on their website @ http://stampington.com.

The first page of the gallery section has little snippets of what you will see in the coming pages. Mine is on the far right (birdies on a branch)


Here is the two page layout.........yay!

I'm so happy with the results!

Here is a closeup of the first page:


I created this page after being outside one day early in the morning. I was watching birds on a branch of this bush and they were so cute, just kinda hanging around. I was feeling overwhelmed by life and that's where the sentiment came from. "Birdies on a branch, how lucky you are...........you can just fly away." I wanted to be one of those birds.
The truth that I have learned and accepted in my life by faith is…

Keeping it simple

I love healthy food, and lately I've been trying some new things. I am keeping the recipes quick and simple.

Today, I am having a cucumber drizzled with Trader Joe's spicy peanut dressing sprinkled with sesame seeds. Hydrating and yummy!

Healthy food doesn't have to be expensive or time consuming. And honestly, when I eat more simple "mini-meals", I feel better because I know they are easily digested.

I don't eat healthy every second of every day, but I am achieving more balance. And today, that's what I'm grateful for.

I am an artist

I am an artist. But there are blocks of time when I just don't feel like creating.

I just started creating again. I love to alter antique cabinet cards. I think each one has a story to tell. I look at the facial expressions in the photo and listen to what it speaks to me.

Here are a few samples:


This one is called, "no matter the weather". It can be the most beautiful day outside, but if you are hurting.......it's all rain.

The next is called, "she dreams of home".
Oh, how she dreams of home, where she can be a little girl again. And this one is called, "mended memories".

She remembers the past, and the pain she's endured. The Lord has stitched up her heart.........many, many times.

Lately, I have been interested in creating things like I've never done before, like abstract painting and sewing. I will post some of those finished projects soon.

If you're an artist and you haven't created in a while, don't be discouraged. Yo…